Friday, May 27, 2011

Cheating for Excellence

A good friend of mine and I were talking about excellence and the discussion got around to Lance Armstrong using doping (improving the blood's ability to carry more oxygen) in order to win bicycle races. My friend lost all his respect for Armstrong and cannot understand why he felt that he needed to cheat in order to be world class.
"Excellence' in a particular endeavor or achieving world class status pushes the limits of the human body and mind. Few are willing to suffer the hard work and sacrifices to attain excellence or world class status.

Unfortunately, most humans today feel the need to cheat to obtain that very small advantage over their competitors and most of the time society turns a blind eye to cheating.

Many of my colleagues consider my work to be among the best that they have seen and I have the comments and surveys stating their beliefs. For me, excellence has come at a very high personal cost:
1.Millions of dollars in education to study with the best in the world
2.Spending thousands of hours in classrooms
3.Working 60 hours a week for more than 30 years
4.Eliminating all vacations for the last 26 years.

I did not cheat to achieve my level of clinical dentistry nor did I ever earn my income unethically.

I have worked exceptionally hard to give you the dentistry that you deserve.