Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Easing Out the Gray-Haired"

This is the title of an article published in today's front page of the Business Section of the New York Times. In the article Eward Poll said,"Very few people are so skilled that they can't be replaced by a younger, more current practitioner."

In general, I might tend to agree with that. The older guys tend to live on their laurels and remind folks about what they did for the firm or team 20 years ago.

In the book, "Talent Is Overrated," the author tells us about musicians in their 70s who remain world class at their skill because their brains make certain adaptations to keep them at the top of their game.

I am one of those very rare individuals who remains at the pinnacle of their careers despite being in the mid 60s. I consider myself a very lucky person to be doing what I love to do and still feel great while doing it.

Dentists HATE to compete with one another because they are better clinicians in their own minds than they are in treating patients. But if a contest was held, I WOULD bet on some of the gray heads.