Wednesday, May 11, 2011

An Honest Discussion About Fees

I went to a gathering a few weeks ago to watch a documentary about the gas industry and water polution. An older woman sat next to me during dinner and we began chatting and after she discovered that I was a dentist, she began complaing to me about how much her dentist charged her to fix a tooth. She told me that she was not going back to him because it was $500 to repair her tooth. I did not respond to this person's complaints because it did not interest me to do so. But I think this might be a good time to discuss the cost of dentistry and why fees are what they are.
The average overhead (the cost to operate a dental office) for a dentist is 70%. A few dentist have a lower cost of operation but 70% is about average. The lady I mentioned was charged $500 and the cost of operating a dental office is 70% which means that $150 is left for the dentist. But the average dentist is in the 50% tax bracket (federal, state, social security, sales tax, property tax etc etc etc) so that the dentist takes home $75 out of the initial $500 fee. SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!

Please remember this when you think that dentistry is so expensive.