Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Big Mistake

I received the following email from a patient that I have met with twice. The first visit was a consultation in which I persuaded her that orthodontic treatment rather than cosmetic dentistry was the BEST method of treatment and the second appointment was to take x-rays and do a thorough clincial exam. This is the email that I received:
Dr Benjamin, I'm sorry to inform you that I might need to switch dentist! I enrolled into the Fidelis care health insurance because, paying out of pocket for doctor visits were becoming too much financially. I work 35 hours a week and you need to work 37.5 to be considered full time to receive the health benefits so, with that being said I don't have insurance. I signed up with fidelis care but, I have to be seen by a Doctor that is on their list. I would love to stay with you! With all the work that needs to be done I'm afraid that I won't be able to afford all of it out of pocket with all the ortho care that needs to be done as well. I hope you understand! Actually I know you will, your a great person! I'm not sure yet who I'm going to go and see but, as soon as I do I will have them contact the office if they need any information. I'm sure they'll need to see the x-rays so they can start work on my cavities. I'll stay in touch and let you know what's going on, also if in the future my job has an opportunity for full time, I'll have the right insurance to come back to your office! I'm truly sorry to have to leave your wonderful caring practice!
Thank you for everything!
Yours truly,

The problem is that this young lady believes the INSURANCE INDUSTRY propaganda which is that all physicians and dentists are the same and that the treatment outcome is going to be the same if you select the cheapest 'health care provider.' [Aside: the health care provider is really nothing more than a clinical insurance agent which has little or no resemblence to a DOCTOR.]

I can pretty much guarantee what this young ladies mouth will look like in 5 years but I would rather keep it to myself. Suffice it to say, I believe that this young patient will have a better outcome in my office....And for one simple reason: I am passionate about what I do.