Friday, April 16, 2010

Compromising Excellence? No Way

I went to dinner with a good friend of mine and he said to me, "You may not say this in so many words and you probably don't want to hear me say it but you are telling your patients that if they don't want to do treatment your way, that you don't want them as patients."

Excellence is a gold standard. There is not good, better or best 'excellence.' Excellence is exactly what it says that it is...The best possible treatment that I am capable of doing without compromising.
I am not nor have I ever been motivated by making money. I want to do the kind of dentistry that I am not ashamed to place on my website or in my new TV commercials. Another way of saying this is that I will not do treatment that will embarrass me or my office.

I am not an average restorative dentist; I earned a Certificate of Proficiency in Esthetic Dentistry (SUNY/Buffalo 2001) which means that I am not only competent (or capable) but that I excel in the area of fixing teeth.
Excellence cannot be watered down...It is the way that we do dentistry. So I say to my friend, "If a patient wants mediocre dentistry, there is a list of hundreds of dentists to select from."

I just don't want to be on that list....even if it were to make me a wealthy man.
Sorry, I don't do mediocre excellence