Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reputation and Ethics

"Lose money for the firm, and I will be understanding. Lose a shred of reputation for the firm, and I will be ruthless." This is what Warren Buffet told to management and employees of Salamon Brothers when he rescued the Wall Street Firm in the early 1990s.

We had to ask a patient to leave our practice. This doesn't happen very often but occassionally, it is necessary because the patient doesn't want excellence. As I have told you before (and what Warren Buffet believes in as well) maintaining my reputation by pursuing excellence in clinical dentistry in an ethical dental practice is paramount to our practice.

When a patient asks me to compromise my standards which can only lead to mediocre results, it is time to ask that patient to find a dentist that believes in the same approach to dental treatment.

I cannot compromise my reputation by producing mediocre dentistry. I will not lower my ethical standards by charging you a fee for less than excellent dentistry.