Sunday, May 2, 2010

Because We Care

I have consulted with a wonderful and attractive woman who is elderly but certainly not old. She wants some cosmetic dentistry and I have spent 4 hours speaking with her about what would be involved in her treatment and how many hours in the chair it would take. Trust me...I did not want to perform treatment unless my patient was ABSOLUTELY sure that this is what SHE wanted. This would be how I would treat MY Grandmother. My patient made her decision and she decided to go with less treatment than she originally wanted. We called our patient the day before her 2.5 hour appointment as a reminder and she asked what the appointment was for. I was in disbelief when Donna, my secretary, told me.

My patient arrived the next day for her appointment and I AGAIN reviewed the treatment that we were going to start. She then asked me why her upper lip no longer moved up to show her teeth when she tried to smile.

THE LIGHTBULB WENT ON!!!!!!!!!

I had taken photos of my patient on her first consultation appointment and when I reviewed the photos, I found that my patient was indeed correct and that her upper lip no longer moved when she smiled. I asked my patient if she was taking any new medicines to which she said 'no.' I then asked her if she had any medical treatment since February when the photos were taken. She told me that she had had her eyes treated. I then asked her what kind of anesthesia was used to which she responded, "The doctor put me to sleep."

Tentative Diagnosis: A mini stroke.

I called my patient's long time physician and informed him of my findings.

I made no money for my patients appointment since I could not in good conscience do any treatment...What I did do was extend this patient's life as she will probably be placed on blood thinners to prevent future debilitating strokes.

Why didn't I just do what was scheduled to be done and call the physician on another day? Because it was not the right thing to do.

Why did we do the right thing???? BECAUSE WE CARE...even when caring costs us money...It is not about the money nor will it ever be.