Thursday, May 6, 2010

I Want to Watch You Work

Many dentists have visited my office to watch me treat my patients.Most of the dentists are young with less than 10 years of experience and want to see how others go about performing a particular technique..This happens all the time and I have paid other dentists in the Northwest to visit their office and watch them work so that I can pick their brains and learn their secrets.
Yesterday, one of the most successful dentists in the country from McKinney,Texas surprised me when he posted the following message on the ACE internet dental forum:
"On my dental "Bucket List" is to go watch Gerald do a composite restoration."
One of the MOST SUCCESSFUL dentists has set one of his professional goals to come to Saratoga Springs, NY and watch me do a most ordinary (for me) restoration: The direct posterior bonded restoration. This is something that I do many times a day and both you and I take getting a bonded white filling for granted.
But let me tell you a secret...my colleagues both near and far consider me one of the best dentists in the world at doing direct posterior bonded restorations (or to you and me...a white filling in a back tooth.)
The Mega successful dentist from Texas has a dream of visiting Upstate NY so that he can watch an old dentist do what he has been turned into an art form.
I am honored when other dentists admire my work.