Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Consumate Dentist

When the former Dean at SUNY/Buffalo School of Dental Medicine visited my office with his wife earlier this year, it was an effort to show his wife who is also a dentist that quality, ethical dental practices DO exist around the country. At one point when I told him that I had an article published in a peer reviewed dental journal, he turned to his wife and said, "The best dentists teach, publish, mentor and do excellent clinical dentistry."

I told you about my young dentist from Bangalore, India that I am mentoring and who spent a week in my office learning and studying how to do superb clinical dentistry. Today I received the following email which talks about a lot of technical stuff which you won't understand. But what you will easily see is the enthusiasm of a young dentist when he FINALLY conquers a clinical technique that he has been struggling with. He says:

Hi Dr.Benjamin, it took nearly 6 months for me to do a composite filling(class II ) without touching the bur on the carved surface!!!!! but this time i GOT IT.

I did this case today(upper molar with big class II including palatal cusps) with your filtek. Now i carve with the instrument which you had recommended, there was no highpoints at all, no polish, but it was looking so natural, amazing!!!, the photo is taken with the chair light so it has come bit yellowish. Criticize the case.(now while carving the composite restorations, your picture will be there in my mind till i finish the carving, probably i got this result because of that!!!!!!!). Take care, Ashok.

I am trying to be the consummate dentist: the teacher,the mentor, the writer and the excellent clinical dentist.