Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Am Proud to be a Patient of Yours

I can think of no better words that a doctor can receive from one of their patients.
The entire email from Bill was:

Dr Benjamin
Thank you so much for your terrific care and artistry! I am proud to be a patient of yours! I am delighted with today's outcome.
Best regards,
Bill

Bill is thanking me for my competence and my concern. Isn't this what you would expect from your doctor...that he or she knows what they are doing AND cares about you?

Thirty or forty years ago folks would do anything they could to have certain doctors agree to treat them. The patient was PRIVILEGED to be be treated by doctor so and so.
Today, there are so few highly competent and caring doctors that it ALMOST doesn't matter which one you decide to see...The only question folks want to know about their physician or dentist is, "Does he accept my insurance?"

"I am proud to be your patient" means that Bill and I have established a RELATIONSHIP in which I am ethically bound to pursue excellence in his care.

In some ways, I like the old days better.