Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Right Thing is ALWAYS the Right Thing

I will always provide the BEST advice to my patients even if it means that I will not be directly involved in their treatment and I will not earn any money from that patient.

I gave the patient the following advice in an email:

If you were my wife AND you were willing to have orthodontic treatment then that is what I would recommend. I sincerely appreciate the fact that you trust me sufficiently that you ask my opinion…I will ALWAYS look after YOUR best interest.

My patient responded in her email:

I can see that you are looking out for my best interests. I do intend to get the uppers done, but that still leaves me with crooked,unsightly,lowers, and the orthodontist won't do the bottoms without the tops. As it stands, when I look in the mirror, all I see are those awful bottom teeth. Like everything else in my life, I'm starting late. After reading your refreshingly honest letter, I have decided to go with the braces, and see you in about 20 months. Thank you again

What does this exchange of ideas demonstrate?
1. That I care deeply that my patient have the best treatment even though I earn no
money.
2. That my patient understands that HER best interest is my concern.
3. That we have established a relationship of trust and caring despite the fact that
I have only met this patient on two occassions.

Isn't this what a Doctor-Patient relationship is about? Or is this just the way it used to be? I was trained by the old doctors who understood the SACRED nature of the doctor-patient relationship and throughout my career I have made this sacred trust the basis of my practice. Insurance companies have tried to destroy our relationship but it my office, it has and will always be how we will do business. The right thing is always the right thing.