Monday, April 6, 2015

Mentoring Does Work...For the Very Few

I have lectured to and mentored many young dentists during these last 10 years. Oh yes, these young dentists are now aware that a higher level of dentistry exists (AKA: Excellence) but not one of the local dentists has latched on to the concept of Excellence  and wanted to make it their own.

None other than my good friend Dr. Ashok from Bangalore, India. Many years ago on his first visit to Saratoga Springs, he saw excellence and demanded more. Dr. Banchs and I told Dr. Ashok that the dentistry that he was then doing was unacceptable if he truly wanted to pursue excellence. We told him that he would have to start all over again both in his thought process of diagnosis and treatment planning and in his execution (or how he actually performed dentistry for his patients) and his documentation (photography.) I also told him that after he learned dentistry he would have to start showing the world what he was capable of by posting his work on local (Indian) dental sites and on international dental sites.

Today, I received the following email:

"Hi Dr.Gerald, i loaded this case 3 days back. Tell me honestly how many DDS can work and document like this with passion?, i learnt this art from you. My cases and pics are very famous in India. All this transformation has happened with in me after visiting saratoga and from now onwards it is non-stoppable. Hats off to your passion which has a tremendous capacity to ignite the same in others. Regards, Ashok."

The email contained an implant case that he recently completed as well as 10 or so fabulously photographed pictures of his work.

As I wrote to Dr. Ashok...His willingness to pursue excellence says so much about him and not so much about my influence on him..

Congratulations Dr.Ashok for all your hard work these past 7 years and your desire to take care of your patients at a very high level.