Tuesday, April 28, 2015

When the Middle Class Goes to Sleep

Anyone that is a reader of my blog knows that my subject matter goes to any subject and from several   points of view. I am mildly political, speak to dental excellence and any subject that catches my interest that just doesn't seem right. In the biggest picture, I speak in terms of doing the right thing for the right reason.

CNN had a story this afternoon about the National Football League voluntarily giving up its not-for profit tax status because it gives people the appearance of wealthy companies taking advantage of the rest of us. The article states:


The league saved only about $10 million a year from the tax break, according to the Citizens for Tax Justice. That's a rounding error for an enterprise the size of the NFL.

Can you imagine billionaire sports team owners thinking that 10 million dollars is a petty amount of money? What does this mean for the rest of us middle class folks? It means that  when the big boys don't pay their fair share, you and I must make up the shortfall by paying higher taxes.

Remember what billionaire Leona Helmsley said before her trial for tax evasion:
"Only the little people pay taxes." (Then she went to prison.)

When you and I , the middle class, stops paying attention, lots of things happen to us and the country that does not meet the standard of "Do the Right Thing."