Thursday, August 11, 2016

Funny

There has been a lot of controversy in medicine and dentistry about over prescribing antibiotics  either because antibiotics are not effective for a particular problem OR we are making antibiotics less effective by their overuse.

The American Society of Orthopedic Surgeons believes that it is not necessary to give patients antibiotics for those that have had joint replacements after a certain length of time. And the American Heart Association has reduced the number of heart conditions that require antibiotic coverage.

Last month, I sent about 75 patients a letter stating that I would no longer be prescribing antibiotics for medical conditions and that those patients who do take antibiotics prior to their dental appointment should call their physicians to make sure that they still need antibiotics and if they do, they have the doctor prescribe it.

I saw a patient yesterday who told Tricia that when she received my letter, that she was nervous to open it because she thought that I was announcing that I was retiring.

The patient repeated the same thing to me afterwards..

I found her comments funny.

I am NOT retiring in the near future...but just in case, you might want to have treatment performed sooner rather than later. lol

Don't worry.