Sunday, August 21, 2016

I am Offended (Not Political)

Many years ago, billionaire Leona Helmsley was widely quoted as saying:

"Only the little people pay taxes."

How do you think the little people on the jury voted when ole Leona was tried for tax evasion?

GUILTY!!!! and sent to jail.

In last weeks New York Times, billionaire Donald Trump was quoted as saying:

"Only stupid people, very stupid people, pay a lot of taxes."

Am I the only middle class person offended when very rich people insult the rest of us when we pay taxes?

Very wealthy people defend themselves by saying, "I pay everything the tax laws require."
While that is technically true, it is worth noting that the wealthy BUY the Congress and tell them how much  (or little) they want to pay.

"Back in the day," the middle class controlled the Congress and we had a fairer, though ridiculous, set of tax laws.

I don't know about you but I am offended when rich people call ME stupid when I pay the taxes that my accountant tells me to pay.