Friday, August 19, 2016

Trust, the Immeasurable Component in Health Care

I have blogged about the fact that intelligent people want to trust their professionals who take care of them but unfortunately, that feeling of trust is not being felt in today's health care environment. And really, why should their be? Physicians and dentists have their health care options controlled by either Government or insurance companies which means that they can no longer practice or offer THE BEST POSSIBLE health care to their patients.

If you talk to physicians and dentists, they are generally not happy and at best, disappointed in their jobs and job satisfaction. Do patients feel their disappointment and lack of job satisfaction?

YOU BET!

And how do I know that? Well, I actually asks my friends and acquaintances who are physicians if they love what they do...The older guys respond that "they used to." And younger Docs do not look at their job as "A Calling" or "a passion."

More importantly, I can look at my schedule to see all of the 'out of town' patients in my schedule.
Last Monday, I had patients from:

Connecticut: new patient:
North Carolina: someone 28 who has been my patient all of her life
Manhattan: someone 27 who has been my patient all of her life
Ticonderoga, NY: a dentist's son who wanted my restorative expertise
Woodstock, NY: a long time (15-20 years) patient

Why are these patients traveling to our office?  In a word, TRUST.

These patients know or have heard that they can trust me to do the best work that I can to take care of them.

(Aside: The Connecticut patient came to my office because I successfully took care of his daughter when she fell while a student at Skidmore. When I asked the patient, "Why did you come to our office?" the spouse answered, "Because my husband wanted dental treatment and we knew that you would do it right."

I truly do LOVE my job...and I don't care who knows.