Friday, December 11, 2009

I Had My Tooth Extracted

I have lost 5 permanent teeth including the one Dr. Robert Carpenter removed today. Perhaps some of you are thinking that I must not take good care of my teeth. Nothing could be further from the truth. I brush and floss at least TWICE a day, use Listerine Mouthwash between every patient and haven't eaten sweets in 30 years. And I have spent more money on my teeth than anyone that I have ever met. Then why am I losing some teeth? Some of you may be guessing the answer especially if you are a regular reader of my BLOGS. I had root canals and crowns on my back teeth while in my teens and early 20's due to a large intake of sweets and the resulting tooth decay. Cutting down beautiful, natural tooth structure for crowns is the beginning of the end for that tooth EVEN if the tooth lasts another 30 years.
None of us should go to dentists that are in a hurry to cut down our teeth and we should ask them : "How are you strengthening my tooth by cutting down the strongest part of the tooth, the enamel?"
Beautifully done, strong bonded white resin fillings placed under a rubber dam are the best restoration that you can buy to keep much of your own tooth structure.
Many dentists who accept insurance just can't wait to put crowns on your teeth because crowns are a covered benefit under your insurance coverage. If you want to have your teeth cut down then you too will have your teeth extracted in late middle age.
I wish that I had a dentist like me, with the technology that I have and the concern and ethics to always put their patient's best interest first...I would still have all of my own teeth.