Monday, December 7, 2009

What Do Doctors Do?

I recently treated a physician who has a daughter that needs some surgery. He and I discussed the nature of the injury that required surgery in such a young person. I asked him if he was looking for the best possible orthopedic surgeon...He responded, "ABSOLUTELY." We are travelling to Denver,Colorado to see the same surgeon who treated a famous NY Yankee. When I need to have a broken tooth fixed, I get in my car and drive 5 hours to Buffalo to have one of the best dentists in the world treat me.
What is the point? Those of us in the healing professions fully recognize that many of our colleagues are not up to par and that we need to seek out the best just like you need to do when you become ill or have a significant dental problem.
Physicians and Dentists accept the fact that there is a huge difference in knowledge, skill, talent and passion among our peers and that we won't let just any physician or dentist treat us or our families.
You need to learn this and do what my colleagues and I do: seek out the best.