Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Professional Criticism: ACE Forum2



Most of the dentists in the Capital District and many of my patients think of me as a 'Cosmetic Dentist.' Nothing could be further from the truth. The vast majority of my time is spent helping patients keep their back teeth with beautifully done direct composite restorations. As I have told you before...I will not destroy beautiful, healthy, natural tooth structure and place a crown when a well done bonded filling can be placed.
These photos show bonded fillings that I placed 5 years ago on all four of these back teeth. The bonded composite fillings look exactly the same as the day that I placed them.
So what do my peers have to say about my FIVE YEAR OLD WORK?

Dr. B is a periodontist in Atlanta,GA who prefers to practice as a general dentist.

"Each time I look at your work I am blown away. I realize that one can take class after class and still not achieve the same result, and this is because of the innate talent behind the individual. That doesn't come from a class at all. I like seeing Danny Melker's perio surgery and root reshaping protocol, as well as Bill Strupps cores and preparations, as well as final restorations. Theirs, like yours, is pure art. Thanks for sharing. It gives me something to shoot for."

Dr. S is a general dentist from Dallas,TX
'Mine don't look that good after 5 minutes, much less 5 years. Gerald, you are truly a master. Do you teach any courses on direct restorations?'

Dr. T practices in Las Vegas, NV. I was his instructor at a SUNY/Buffalo graduate course in 1999 or so.
'Dear Gerald they r beautiful. You r a true artist.'


Dr. L is a dentist working at a large hospital.
'Still the master!!'

Why am I posting my work and the comments of my peers? These are folks that fully recognize and appreciate clinical dentistry performed at a very high level. I truly value the comments of my patients when they thank me for being their dentist. But I have to tell you, there is nothing like having other dentists appreciate MY Work.
As I have told you before...I am NOT a cosmetic dentist. I am just a good dentist who passionately cares about taking care of his patients.