Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mentoring

Successful people will tell you that they have had one or more people in their lives that acted as their mentors. When young professionals complain that their careers are not progressing as they had hoped, the advice given to them is to "go find a mentor."
I have had two mentors in my career, one on the West Coast, Dr. Frank Spear and the other on the East Coast, Dr. Fred McIntyre. I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to study with Dr. Spear in Seattle. To study with Dr. McIntyre, I used to get in my car on a Thursday evening and drive for 5 hours to Buffalo, NY to have a one hour meeting with Dr. McIntyre at 7:30 in the morning to discuss your dental treatment with him and then immediately return home.
I am presently mentoring 4 or 5 young dentists including a dentist from India. As you know, I have spent more than $2 million on my post graduate education to take approximately 2500 hours of education. I have studied with the best in the world and after practicing dentistry for 33 years, I recognized that it was time to 'distribute' some of the things that I have learned or invented. My young mentees are free to call or email me at any time at no cost to them. The only thing that I ask of my proteges is that develop a passion for their profession and have a desire to do the right thing for the right reason. Our patients must always come first!
The opportunity to pass along what I have learned to the next generation is extremely rewarding and the right thing to do.