Friday, January 29, 2010

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

This is the mantra of one of my mentors, Dr. Fred McIntyre.
I am working on this very challenging case and I have spent the entire day (Friday) planning out how I need to approach the treatment on this case. Before I ever touch a patient on all of the beautiful cases on this website, I do the entire case on stone models. If you cannot successfully do the case on stone, you will not be able to do the case in the patient's mouth. Isn't it nice to know that BEFORE you start preparing teeth? Remember in grammar school when the teacher gave you a practice test on Wednesday in preparation for the real one on Friday? Planning cases on stone models is exactly the same thing and when I actually do the work in my patient's mouth, that is really the SECOND time that I have done this.
Why am I telling you this? The vast majority of dentists will take the stone models and send them to the dental laboratory and ask them to plan out the case. So how does the dentist prepare for the patient's appointment? THEY DON'T!!!
When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
So when you want to know WHY I probably charge more than some other dentists, it is because I have spent hours and days in preparation for your appointment. You trust me and I will do my very best not to let you down.